Saturday, January 26, 2013

Film and the joy of budgets

So I put up the indiegogo campaign yesterday and in my mind I am hoping to do well with it but time will tell.

In the meantime as donations come in I think of what can be used for the production with the money. When shooting a video production audio is always a key issue, so I've been pricing microphone sets and either recorders to do sound externally or ways to jack the sound directly to the camera. My first ever attempt at a short film was a lot of fun but killed stone dead by bad audio so I try to keep an eye on that.

Makeup, did you know that makeup grade latex costs about $80 dollars a gallon? Mind you that can go a long way but still. That and color wheels and other goodies as well. I know some very good makeup people who are donating their time but I do draw the line at making them pay for their own supplies. I'm running low budget but I'm not heartless. Mostly.

Cameras. Seriously, go to B+H photo someday and see what a good commercial grade camcorder can run you, its a little intimidating. I do have access to some good ones through the school I work at but having a consistent piece of gear to shoot with saves a ton of time and trouble.

The key point for me is building up a collection of gear and a group of people capable of telling this warped story and a few others we have in mind to follow. Showing off the talents of all these mazing folks who have signed on with me to try their hand at this and showing off that Nebraska is quite capable of doing a lot more than you might think.

Did I mention that film making is kind of both the best and worst of obsessive behavior? It takes quite a few people to make a project happen and a lot of skill to keep it all on the rails. As the process goes on I look forward to telling the stories about the people who I work with and all the madness we get into as we do this.

Best to you all out there in the blogosphere! Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment